Europe Acting Under US Orders on Iran Measures: Spokesman


Europe Acting Under US Orders on Iran Measures: Spokesman

TEHRAN (Tasnim) - Iran’s Foreign Ministry condemned the decision by three European countries to reinstate previously lifted UN Security Council sanctions, as a display of submission to the US, which is the main violator of the 2015 nuclear deal.

Esmail Baqaei, the spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, said in a post on social platform X that the European move undermines their independence and credibility as negotiating parties.

He wrote that the decision to revive the repealed UN Security Council resolutions against Iran represents a distorted notion of a “credible negotiating partner” in the rules-based international order — one where, he said, “force makes right and the chief violator dictates the rules.”

Baqaei stressed that the European action is neither based on legal obligation nor on rational assessment.

He pointed to US Senator Marco Rubio’s August 28 statement acknowledging that the step was taken in line with a directive from President Donald Trump under Presidential Memorandum No. 2, dated February 4, 2025.

The Iranian spokesman noted that the United States, which withdrew unilaterally from the nuclear accord in 2018, has never been a party to the deal since then and remains its “biggest violator and saboteur.”

He said Washington’s exit triggered a chain of negative developments that continue to this day.

 

Most Visited in Politics
Top Politics stories
Top Stories